Friday 21 July 2017

Iron Age

It's amazing what you can discover in the seemingly well-trodden landscape of one's own locality. I've been out there on the highways and byways of Leicestershire within a handful of miles of my home, photographing, painting, and just generally gorging on the sheer delights of my patch of countryside this summer. With a little time on my hands yesterday afternoon I decided to go down a lane that joins the villages of Allexton and Stockerston, both right up against the border with Rutland. You wouldn't go down it unless you lived on it, were making for the Sweethedges Farm Tea Shop or were hopelessly lost. And so I saw, as if for the first time, this big corrugated iron barn. With the addition of a crow-stepped frontage that one normally sees on 1930's garages with a row of globed petrol pumps lined-up in front. No fuel-hungry motorists here, the nearest main road is the A47 preparing itself for Wardley Hill a couple of fields away over the Eye Brook.
Inside it was empty apart from some odd bits of agricultural detritus and the obligatory lone sparrow chirping up in the apex of the roof. It reminded me of a photograph I snapped once as I walked down a platform at Kings Cross station.
    It's quite fortuitous that I came across this pastoral peculiar now, as there's a notice attached to a fence that told me planning permission is being sought for building on that empty patch in front of the barn. So I do hope it survives, both for all those who love this kind of thing but more particularly for those who are annoyed by its crouching presence.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

What fascinates me is why go to the trouble and expense of the brick structure? And the windows; were there offices behind (in which case what were they used for and by whom) or were they just to admit light? That's what makes these places so interesting;the questions they provoke.

Stephen Barker said...

Those are interesting points as you would normally expect the end just to be bricked in. Why it was built and for whom are interesting questions.

Peter Ashley said...

I must make some covert enquiries.

Martin said...

I'm fascinated by this kind of building, too. I wonder if there was a military connection, way back?

Peter Ashley said...

It was very likely a WarAg building, using a military Nissen hut. But the frontage, in a place like this, is a real mystery.

obat aborsi said...

Thank you very much for sharing information that will be much helpful for making coursework my effective.

Aakash said...

really very nice post thank you for sharing about this topic really very great post :-)

Dermacol
Dermacol Make-Up Care
Dermacol Skin Care Products
Dermacol Catalogs
Dermacol Accessories
Dermacol Makeup Cover
Dermacol Satin Makeup Base
Dermacol Invisible Fixing Powder

Lina John said...

First of all, I am saying that I like your post very much. I am really impressed by the way in which you presented the content and also the structure of the post. Hope you can give us more posts like this and i really appreciate your hard work. Buy YouTube Video Views

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

Buy Real Instagram Followers said...

First of all for your nice writing. Some guys already make this issue too hard to understand. I have read this article, it's really amazing.

Bushraah88 said...


Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man and Thanks for the post,Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up.
https://www.hindimei.net

Bushraah88 said...


Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man and Thanks for the post,Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up.
https://www.hindimei.net

yanmaneee said...

ferragamo belt
hermes
supreme clothing
yeezy shoes
kd 12 shoes
supreme hoodie
moncler jacket
lebron 10
moncler
air jordan

Ufa88kh said...

I read the whole post and this is related to an amazing niche.
Here I am sending links to some blog please read my blogs.
wordpress
blogspot
youtube
ប្រដាល់ថៃអនឡាញ

sleareath said...

find out here now Dolabuy Chrome-Hearts learn the facts here now good quality replica bags important site high quality designer replica

pg slot said...

pg slot เกมแตกดีเยี่ยม เล่นเกมสล็อตสมรรถนะสูง สัมผัสการเล่นสล็อตแตกหนัก แตกจริง ที่มีความล้ำยุค เปิดให้เข้ามาเล่นเกมพนันที่ยอดเยี่ยม ค่ายเกมใหม่ที่มีคุณภาพ pg slot เกมแตกดีเยี่ยม นับได้ว่าเป็นอีก