Monday 8 August 2011

Truffle Shuffle

A lovely girl in Market Drayton has just sent me this box of truffles. Before you all go 'Oh yes, what's all that about then?', I will explain. A few weeks ago I happened upon this small town in the eastern marches of Shropshire, and noticed that the sign said 'Market Drayton. Home of Gingerbread'. On getting my obligatory sausage rolls and custard tarts for lunch, I asked for the aforesaid confection. 'Tuesdays' came the reply. As it was Monday I said 'Oh, you mean I've got to come back tomorrow?' Tuesday's of course turned out to be a wonderful chocolaterie, and it was here that I not only bought packs of gingerbread but also fell into conversation with the delightful Nicola, and learnt that MD was not only the home of gingerbread, but also had an incredible concentration of damson trees. The fruit was used to make dye for the northern cotton industry. 'I make truffles with gingerbread, damsons and of course chocolate', Nicola tantalisingly told me, before admitting she hadn't got any. It all started when she was presented with damsons a customer had used in making gin, and used her skill to blend the fruit and gingerbread with a dark, spiced, cream ganache. Nicola keeps the recipe very close to her heart, but Market Drayton can't get enough of them. I do urge you to try a box if you get the chance. We tucked in last night, and I have to tell you that not only did I eat four in a row, but I kept leaving Inspector Lynley and his burgundy Bristol to shuffle into the kitchen for more. They are supremely delicious, and I have additionally invented a new combination in the style of port & Stilton. I bought half a dozen shot glasses on Saturday, so commissioned them with Absolut vodka and the truffles. Perfect. Thankyou Nicola, I will return for more.

12 comments:

CherryPie said...

They sound delicious, I must have a trip over there to try them out.

Sue Imgrund said...

Is scratch n' sniff possible yet by internet????

Peter Ashley said...

Mmm, they did smell, look and taste good Sue. I finished them off (alone) last night. I was going to save a couple, but you know how it is.

Philip Wilkinson said...

Darn it. I was going to come up to Leicestershire and snaffle one. They look delicious. Have to go to Mkt Drayton myself now.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ron Combo said...

If I may ask, what took you to Market Drayton?

Peter Ashley said...

Ah Ron, it was like this. I went to a village nearby, and then thought I'd go down the road a bit. Does this help?

Alan Dengate said...

Soaking Damsons in Gin? We use Sloes. What does the Damson Gin taste like then? There are three Damson trees bearing good crops of fruit only about a mile away from our hovel. Alan

Peter Ashley said...

Haven't tried the gin. I think it's a big thing in Market Drayton. I will submit a report as soon as I have news, but they can make gin with anything in my book.
Well, almost.

India Holidays said...

Wow ! nice blog.

india-portal said...

hmmmm.nice blog....